This blog will serve as a course exercise for EDM510 at the University of South Alabama.
We all know that keeping the attention of children (and even sometimes adults) is a difficult task. Those of us who are teachers have to deal with this problem on a daily basis. Those with children of their own probably encounter the problem as well.
What are some strategies or activities that you use to keep attention? Do you remember any neat/fun things your teachers did when you were younger? If you are a parent, do you have any ideas to share with teachers?

I have a five year old and I know how hard it is to capture and keep a young child's attention. I think in a school setting it is important to be firm but also try to have fun. If children are having fun then they will be more likely to pay attention. Also, I have seen teachers use rewards for good behavior to get children to pay attention in class. This could be getting to pick out a prize for paying attention and participating in the lesson of the day.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes show pictures or movie film clips (about 30 seconds!) on related subjects.
ReplyDeleteSomestimes students are distracted because something unusual is happening in school that day, the weather is especially nice, or its the start of hunting season (no kidding!). When they stop paying attention for no apparent reason, I slow the pace of instruction way down until they get back into it.
I love showing video clips! Especially with younger kids (I teach 4th grade, short video clips are available on almost anything! I love United Streaming for this.
DeleteStudents now expect a two-way dialogue, and increasingly see the process of learning as a living, breathing thing that isn’t subject to conventional parameters. This suggests that a classroom environment that encourages active involvement on the part of students will produce a level of commitment that is far superior to one that doesn’t. In fact, the more fluid the classroom discussion, and the greater the interest of the teacher in embracing students in the experience, the more genuine will be the involvement of the students in the instructional experience.
ReplyDeleteHere are some of the things I do on a daily basis to keep attention:
ReplyDelete~I tend to walk around the room as I teach. I can keep my eyes on all the kids and and they know I will be near them before too long. This also takes away the "back of the room."
~I change my volume. Sometimes I will be extremely loud as I speak, and other times I am almost at a whisper.
~I keep my energy level high. If I'm bored, they will be too.
~We do "Brain Breaks." I put large popsicle sticks in a pickle jar, and from time to time I will pull one out. Written on each one is an activity that can be done in 1 minute or less. Some of the activities include: count to 10 in Spanish, do 25 jumping jacks, name the states in abc order, say specific multiplication facts, do 5 push ups, high five 3 people, etc. Some of the activities are academic, and others are more active. The kids LOVE it!
I love this "Brain Break" idea. I think I will start using that in my class. Thanks!
DeleteAwesome idea!! I am going to borrow this, ok?!
DeleteOne thing I use in my class is equity sticks. I have a cup of popscicle sticks. Each one has the name of one student in my class. If I am doing an activity that requires one student at a time to answer, or use the smartboard I pull equity sticks. Instead of raising hands, they know I will pull a stick and they better be ready with an answer. I, of course, give plenty of wait time, so all students are ready. I usually have students give a thumbs up in front of their chest to let me know they are ready with an answer. The sticks help them all to know that they are responsible for being prepared, which keeps their attention. I almost always put the stick back in the cup, so they know even though they just were called on, they may be called on again. It's just the luck of the draw!
ReplyDeleteLove this idea.
DeleteFor me, I try not to stay on the same subject for very long. It's easy because I have to teach grammar, literature, and writing. I can divide that time up easily. However, there are days where I have to spend the majority of time in literature. If that happens, I stop the story periodically to discuss what is happening in the story.
ReplyDeleteI haven't yet taught in a traditional classroom but I really like RCampell's idea of equity sticks.
ReplyDeleteI try to play review and grammar games with them from time to time, and do more (Spanish)conversations instead of just book work. Switching activites frequently helps too.
ReplyDeleteKeeping the attention of young children, specially at this age, can be challenging. I think that many teachers, as well as parents struggle with that. I know I do. Movies, video clips can be very handy when you’re running out of ideas. Books too, that they may find entertaining--while also educational--can also be an excellent idea in getting their attention, at least for some time. I think the key is to keep them engaged in something they enjoy and like to talk about as a class.
ReplyDeleteIf you can make any learning activity a game or competition its on. They love it. My son will help me even clean the house if I make it into a game of speed or a count down.
ReplyDeleteSongs, stories, things to manipulate such as puzzles are all great activities. You could also do a show and tell or you tell them about something( an object) and let them make comments and ask questions about it.
ReplyDeleteI think that getting to know your students individually is essential in keeping attention. If you know there personal interests, you can incorporate in anything you do or teach. Students always seem to want to do activities where they can put a personal touch on it. I also love the idea about making things into a competition!
ReplyDelete